Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Radiation and hiccups

As promised, here is the picture of the locked up medicine:


It is off to the right side of the picture. It is the medicine called BAD (Benedryl, Ativan, and D...something)


I took this picture to show you how they make the radiation room seem a little more pleasant. It has beaches and mountains, and the roof has a bunch of tree branches with pink blossoms on them. The thing that cheered me up the most in that room was the fact that we had 3 radiation physicists. They all introduced themselves to me and the one actually commented on how important Tony was to them and that they were all indeed radiation physicists. We also had one radiation therapist. 4 professionals all in one room ensuring Tony is taken care of. What more could I ask for? Not to mention it was after they all should have gone home. They are supposed to close at 6 and it was 6:30 before Tony was able to get in. So all 4 of them stayed late. We sure love the people at Inova Fairfax Hospital!


So here he is! Doesn't he look so cute. He especially loves his party hat. And yes, those are straps on both his arms and feet, but he still managed to smile for the picture. Such a good sport. I got to watch the whole set up and it was pretty interesting. It's quite the process. 


Tony is doing well besides just being extremely tired all the time. Today he kept falling asleep while I was talking to him. Poor guy. 

The funny update, (well, annoying for him): is that Tony almost consistently has the hiccups. One of the tech guys told us it was probably the medicine he is taking. I guess it causes you to get the hiccups. I hate the hiccups, so I feel way bad for him. So far, a spoonful of sugar has worked once to cure him (Thanks for the tip Mama Roring). But it didn't work the second time. They only stopped when he fell asleep. They are looking into getting him some anti-hiccuping medicine. I thought that was pretty interesting. I didn't even know that had something like that. (But one of the nurses said that even in oncology books, the first things prescribed for the hiccups is a spoonful of sugar. I think that is so interesting) So Mama Roring, I guess you could be an oncologist since you already knew that. 

3 comments:

  1. I cure mine by drinking water. My momma always told me that if I swallow ten times without breathing, it'll help. It's a 50/50 chance that it will, but I drink the water to make it easier. Plus, it keeps me hydrated. :) You can try that if the sugar doesn't work. Or maybe you can mix the two???
    Tell him good luck with those hiccups. I hate hiccups! They hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you guys! Praying for you Anther Panther!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot the most important picture! where is Anthony playing video games?

    ReplyDelete