Friday, April 22, 2022

Doctor a Day

Tony had a doctor's appointment every day this week. On Monday we went down for blood tests and it came back that his platelets were below safe limits (9). But the office that is closer to us doesn't do same day transfusions, so we had to make the journey back up to home (with me gripping the wheel tightly. It's scary to drive at high freeway speeds with someone with low platelets. Any injury would be very serious for him while he has low platelets and they were very, very low). 

The next day we went down again for a platelet transfusion. It went well, and he didn't have any allergic reactions to the new platelets. Wednesday he had another blood draw. They gave him a special shot last week that encourages his body to make more white blood cells, and on Wednesday his white counts had swung up from too low, to above average. His red count was still going down, but his platelets were up to 21. Thursday we had to get up at 6 a.m. to drive down to the SLC office. They did a blood draw and then we met with the hematologist. He is happy with how well Tony has responded to this last round of treatment. His platelets were at 20, so they seem to be holding steady now. His white counts were even higher than above average, which was encouraging because Jack also developed a fever Thursday afternoon. So we are grateful Tony is out of the illness danger zone now that Jack is sick. 

Today we went back down for another blood draw. His red counts are still going down, his platelets are  at a stand still and his white counts are STILL going up. So it's not likely he will be catching any illnesses anytime soon. Jack is also doing a lot better today, but we kept him home from school just in case. Since we're not expecting any more blood transfusions, the office moved him to just 2 appointments next week on Monday and Thursday for the next 2 weeks. 

Other updates: We were able to go to my sister's house for an Easter egg hunt (we had postponed it from last week due to bad weather). I was able to visit my friend Jennilyn and she cut and dyed my hair. (I love it. I feel more like me now). I was able to go with a lot of my family to Crystal Hot springs to swim and go down the water slides. I had a girls night with Lara. I also got to go with some of my family to the symphony/cirque for my mom's birthday. And we got to see Tony's sister Nicole. 




1 comment: