Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Safety First

Don't forget to use the safety holder when you use a mandoline slicer....


I know I sure won't forget!

Needless to say, it's been a long day. Also...thumbs are convenient things to have when you are cooking. While slicing up an eggplant today, I took off a decent chunk of my thumb. After much consideration, it was decided that I should probably go to the emergency room. The wonderful people upstairs took Jack while Tony headed home from work. I was at the hospital for 3 1/2 hours. Now I have an updated tetanus shot and an awesome bandage. After the hospital, I put together the meal for all 3 families that I cook for using 3 hands (my one and Tony's 2). Then we frantically picked up the kitchen just in time for the ladies to come to our house for cooking club. It was my turn to teach. What a day. I don't look or smell very nice, but mission accomplished. And lesson learned. Always properly use the safety on mandoline slicers. 
The End.

1 comment:

  1. My Dear Brittany,

    I am so sorry about your injury. I'm glad you don't have neuropathy of take blood thinners. Even so, this is going to take a very long time to heal. I know because I once caught my hand in the garage door which was closing at the time. The nail on my right thumb came off, and when it grew back, it was a sight. I don't know what your doctor has in mind, but when I injured my right big toe, as soon as it stopped bleeding, my doctor had me take the bandage off and re-ban\dage it every day. My foot swelled horribly, but my doctor would not puncher the huge blood blister - he said leave it along that the skin is the best bandage in the world. Maybe you should stop your cooking job for a while. And get a lot of disposable gloves.(Large size)

    I have no idea what a mandoline slicer is. I just want you to get better. I love you, Grandma Lewis

    ReplyDelete